Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Damn Border Collies

Well Monday night class didn't go as well as Sundays :) Once again Roo was over excited by the dog's running agility, especially the NEBCR puppies momma Flicka! So we took out mat and went to the corner to work on some relaxation exericises and clicking and treating for looking without barking. I also brought a can of Easy Cheese to squirt in his mouth. Something I read in Control Unleashed (http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB943). In theory, the cheese (or squeeze peanut butter) keeps thier mouth gummed up a bit and they bark less and you can reward more frequently. I said in theory.
By the end of the class he was able to lay in my lap and watch the other dogs without barking for about 10 seconds. He was staring intently at them, ignoring my click, but would stick his tongue out for the cheese. Too funny. OH BTW, I titled this one Damn Border Collies because Amy laughs and says, "He's a Border Collie!" Can't I have a dog with drive who only shows it in agility?
Now he is diving head first into the trash can, which he is sure is a fun filled toy box. Silly Roo.

No comments: